We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.

2000.6268

2000.6268
2000.6268
2000.6268
2000.6268
Comments (0)
3346
The Old Prison
2000.6268
Social History (Museum of St Albans)
  • Alf Gentle
2000.6268
View of the Old Prison on Grinston Road from Flora Grove. In 1924, this ceased to be a prison. Much of the prison was demolished and the remainder became a council depot. What remains today is the former governors residence, now St Albans register office. The Abbey Gateway ceased to be the town gaol in 1867 when this purpose built prison was built. This new prison received its first prisoners in 1867. It was a model prison, with a toilet in each cell. There was a school room where prisoners who were incarcerated for more than 2 months were taught to read and write, since there was a high rate of illiteracy at this time. The prison was purpose built to comply with the Separate System, which was to be implemented throughout the UK as a result of the Prisons Act 1865. The 'Separate System' is where prisoners are kept confined to their cells and completely isolated from one another, even in chapel. Grimston Road gaol adopted a modified version of this whereby prisoners were confined to their cells apart from in chapel, for exercise and on the treadmill. Later on the gaol adopted a 'Silent System' where prisoners were not allowed to talk to anyone except the turnkey or the head gaoler. This system was meant to allow the prisoner time to reflect, to face up to themselves. The gaol had accommodation for the prison governor and prison officers. It had an infirmary, buildings for kitchens, stores, etc 85 cells for men and 14 for women. Each cell had a hammock and some books. The prisoners were allowed 8 gallons of water per day for all purposes. The treadmill could take 32 prisoners and it provided the gaol with water. It was a hard labour punishment, prisoners would be on it for 20 mins and off for 10 mins. The nickname for the treadmill was the 'cockchafer' (just think of the rough prison clothes and the constant stepping up). The treadmill was banned in1902. A black flag would fly above the gaol when an execution took place. This happened four times in the life of the gaol. Mary Ansell was executed there in 1893. She had supposedly smuggled poisonous cake into a lunatic asylum and had given it to her sister to eat, killing her. (A man later confessed to having been the real murderer.) The last execution here was in 1914. Hangings at this prison were held in private. They had been held in public until 1868.
  • photographic slide
  • Gentle, Alf
  • post-War (1945 - present)
tasks-admin
2016-02-29 17:31:49
7545_4.jpg
Image
JPEG
810.00 KB
2055 px
3072 px
817